Saturday, September 19, 2009

Big Bend: Part II

We were eager to start our next day of adventures and couldn't wait to see what treasures we would discover along the way. It so easy for me to find inspiration and beauty in life when I'm not in my daily routine...
I tried my best but the pictures just do not do the scenery justice...I never knew we had mountains in Texas!
Usually my imagination gets the best of me in my day-to-day life; like thinking a hair elastic is a bug on the floor or Toby barking like a maniac means there's a robber about to break-in to the house...but on this vacation it was easy to imagine Christ walking along with His disciples.."One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grain fields, and his disciples began to pick some heads of grain, rub them in their hands and eat the kernels..."Luke 6:1

I love how comfortable they were with Christ. We only know about a handful of these moments from the bible but I'm sure there were thousands of instances where similar situations occurred. I always think if could have walked with Jesus and lived life in general with him it would become easier to change my "Martha" mentalities for a more peaceful "Mary" attitude. But then I remember those two women actually did touch and cry with Christ. Why should I think I would be more willing to change than they were? Lesson learned.
Although this sign looked promising, the only wild life we saw were a few wild deer. However, the one we spotted was only a few yards away from us, camouflaged in the tall grass...Aren't you glad a deer was the only animal we noticed until we were looking in his beady eyes. Oh sweet mercy, I sure was!
Later that day we took a drive to anothe part of the park and got to see a little part of the Rio Grand river. For a Lonesome Dove fan such as myself this was especially exciting! I could just see Captain Call and Gus riding off into the aird Texas wilderness and I was immidatly grateful for my air conditioned car waiting for me...

Kelley, Trip, Nate and I took a hike up one of the larger sand dunes by the river. Although it doesn't look steep this was a major endevor especially when ever step sinks into the sand.
But we made it and shared an orange at the top. A psalm came to mind as we sat munching on the jucie fruit,
"For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock." ~ Psalm 27:5

Being completely surrounded by wild nautre I see things that make me feel small, I can then think about God's greatness in creating it and realize how strong He truly is.
Here are a few other pictures from our adventures that day. Everyone was feeling the heat, especially Lukie of Pookieness. Since his little head was getting sunburned, I was happy to fashion a make-shift dew rag for him...to all of our surprise he didn't pull it off right away!

We had some tired little explorers in our car. I love these pictures because only a few minutes before Trip had been teasing Nate about falling asleep...I had to take a picture as evidence that Trip had fallen asleep too :-)
Again the sunset was a beautiful site to be seen!

Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep.
Psalm 36:5-6 5

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one know that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.

January 18, 2010 at 6:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home